Woman evacuated from care home fire in Banbury

Friday, 13 May 2011

An elderly woman was rescued from her room in a care home near Oxford on Saturday (May 7th) after a fire broke out.

Local fire crews were called to the establishment, located in Banbury, at around 4pm, according to local newspaper the Oxford Mail.

The elderly resident was helped out of her room while the firefighters tackled the blaze, which it is believed started due to an electrical fault.

According to watch manager Gary Dawson, the quick thinking of staff members "minimised the woman's exposure to smoke".

A suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment must be carried out on all commercial properties - such as care homes - in England and Wales, under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

If the fire risk assessment is carried out to an extent judged to be unsuitable, the Responsible Person for the establishment can face a fine or up to two years in prison.

To be kept up to date with our latest news, product offers and industry insight please add your name and email address below. If you change your mind about receiving our email newsletters you can instantly unsubscribe by using the unsubscribe link in the email. Thank you.