Chorleywood care home evacuated following curtain fire

Friday, 19 August 2011

Residents of a care home in Chorleywood were evacuated after a fire broke out in one pensioner's bedroom.

According to the Watford Observer, firefighters were called to Burford House before midnight on Thursday August 18th, after an elderly man accidentally knocked over a lamp, which set a pair of curtains alight.

Watch commander Neil Nash told the news provider: "Some staff were in the room at the time and tried to put it out with fire extinguishers, but they were beaten back by the flames.

"It was on the ground floor so we put a hose through the window to put it out. There was a lot of smoke damage to the room."

For owners of care homes, carrying out a full fire risk assessment is crucial.

Part of this should entail informing all staff and those in care, where it is appropriate, about various fire risks and what to do in the event of a fire.

You must also tell employees about any measures you have put in place to avert the risk of fire and how these measures protect them, under the terms of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

To be kept up to date with our latest news, product offers and industry insight please add your name and email address below. If you change your mind about receiving our email newsletters you can instantly unsubscribe by using the unsubscribe link in the email. Thank you.